Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bored in the 'Burgh? You Must Be Crazy: The Last Weeks of Summer

With CA training and my internship ending, I had a few crazy weeks there at the end of summer. By "crazy weeks", I mean I was working maybe 50 hours a week and socializing the rest of it. I like jobs that work like that.


Jim and I spent a day wandering up to Squirrel Hill and back, then ending up at the Vintage Grand Prix. Schenley was bustling with people looking at pretty cars and listening to the roaring of outdated engines. However, in true Pittsburgh style, the last lap of every race was spent waving to the drivers as they waved back.


Corinne (my summer roommate) and I (also named Corinne... cute, huh?) and Jim had a last hurrah going up the Duquesne Incline. Pittsburgh continues to make happy. Working downtown this summer gave me a better feel for a place I don't venture to very often, but overlooking the city, I really felt like I knew the place.


Of course, summer had to end, and CA ("Community Advisor", it's like a head RA) training started. We had a really awesome week of learning theories of community, presenting our own take on aspects of the CA role, and just in general bouncing ideas off each other, role-playing, and making grand plans for the school year. It is a group of leaders I'm proud to know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment