Sunday, June 5, 2011

Coffee Shop Confusion, or Day 17 in Oslo and Edinburgh, Scotland

Today's was one of the best 5:30am's I've ever seen. It was bright and sunny, and I was almost glad for my four hours of sleep. Almost.

Alisa joined me at this hour to head the quarter mile to the central station to catch our respective modes of transportation to our respective airports. She wasn't flying back until this afternoon, but felt more comfortable spending her time at the airport than alone at the hotel. Besides, she could fill our her tax rebate on some pricey things that she got and theoretically get some money back.

I flew Ryanair, a super budget airline that makes you pay for everything and bombards you with ads during the flight. But, it got me safely to Edinburgh.

Alex and I were supposed to meet up at a coffee shop right out of arrivals. There were only a few wrenches in this plan. The first was that he was on a domestic flight (because he transferred in London) and I was on an international one. The second was that there were at least (as I found out later) four Costa coffees in the airport.

An hour of waiting and an hour of Internet and a lot of hand-wringing later, Alex came out into the international arrivals area where I parked myself, and all was again good with the world.

As he said, he was just wasting time so we could check in to our hotel right away when we got there.

And that we did. I got lunch, Alex got a nap, and we both breathed a sigh of relief to be in Scotland.

After our rest break, we headed out in the dreary to see our first bits of Edinburgh (that weren't from a bus). We had our climb up closer to Edinburgh castle, then a walk to Greyfriar's Bobby, then some wandering back to our guesthouse. Back to the chilly weather too.

No comments:

Post a Comment