Thursday, January 5, 2012

This Time for Africa: DC to Accra

It's 4 hours until my plane leaves for Ghana with me and seven other CMU students, staff, alums and chaperones. This trip was supposed to happen February of last year (aren't those lyrics to a song?) but was rescheduled when our passports and visas were lost in the mail.

But now, it's finally happening. We got a change of plans from our coordinator two days ago. We will be volunteering at the Street Kids Academy with homeless youth. Schools in Ghana are all private, so many kids and families can't afford an education. This facility helps those children who are on the street.

I'm excited to have this experience. I haven't done any volunteering since I started working, and maybe this will be my impetus to find something I'm passionate about around my area, instead of always traveling halfway around the world to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment