Sunday, August 18, 2013

The pre-trip: Sat.-Sun., Aug. 17-18, 2013

Everytime Alisa and I take a trip together, I make her drive to DC to fly out with me. It is only fair that I transport myself up to New York to fly out of JFK with Rosie. (Not really fair to either of them, but in the karmatic total of the universe.)

I spent my Friday night loading maps onto a borrowed GPS (Kelly, again, thank you immensely. I'll put "Afrikaans" back on your GPS as a language before I give it back if you want. It just didn't fit with the Spain maps on there too.) I attempted to put in the street addresses for all of the wineries we were visiting, but Spain addresses are illogical and confusing. (How are you supposed to assume that a winery is on a road with its same name by just a number in the street address line?) Not know any Spanish, I couldn't parse the street names for the important bits ("Calle de Grande", "Plaza Mayor" - you look up Grande and Mayor instead!) I'm hoping driving is going to go smoother since I did that upfront work. 

It was a 8:30am bus that finally got into NYC at 2:30. I slid onto the local train up to Larchmont where I was greeted by Roaie and her mom... On bikes. 

We'll see if this becomes a reoccurring theme, but we biked (with my luggage in the trailer cart) back to their house to play some Boggle and organize seating charts for the party that night. 

The major reason we are meeting in New York was this party - a classy little affair at the country club with a tequila tasting and an impressive salsa band. We scarfed down our food so we could jump on the dance floor. I got to see the one cousin I had met before and meet a myriad of Rosie's cousins, family friends, and relatives.

Many people have asked if we were sisters in the past, but it took two of her relatives tapping me on the back assuming I was Rosie to seal the deal. 

Today (Sunday), I traveled into the city again to see a high school friend. Christine (Christie, when I knew her) and I hadn't seen each other for at least three years, so we had wonderful catch-up conversations as well as great conversations on traveling, politics, the economy, art... Having captivating people to talk to makes four hours too short for a conversation. 



I had biked to the train station, and, after my afternoon with Christine was over, I biked back to the Weisburgh's house. Good news - I found the street with no issues. Bad news - I didn't find the house the first time I passed it. Or the second. We'll just call it accidental exercise (just like when I zoned out after the second floor and ended up on the fourth floor of my apartment complex instead of the third this week - it's just more exercise!)

A bridge game was wrapping up, then it was sushi at the family favorite, and off to the airport, where I'm finishing this post. Rosie and I are teeth-brushed, contacts-out, faces-washed, ready for our red-eye! We don't have tickets together, but we are hoping our 40D and 39C will have someone between willing to trade with us.

Either way, the Salsa Sisters are going to be in Spain tomorrow! Goodnight, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment