Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas "Eve" over Christmas Island - Fiji, Dec. 23-25, 2015

The international date line is a crazy thing. 

A few weeks before the trip, I got an email from CheapOair (the flight brokerage I used to get my tickets) that the flight from DCA to LAX was moved back by 10 minutes, reducing my layover time to less than 90 minutes, and thus, unable to be used. I could instead leave at 9am and have a nine hour layover in LAX?

I opted instead to take the risk and forfeit my plane ticket if something went wrong with my first flight. You can see how this vacation might have started out a bit more stressful than it needed to be. 

It did encourage me to apply and receive Global Entry - a $100 for 5 years of expedited passport control when entering the country as well as TSA Pre, which I was hoping would help me in LAX. 

The attendant at check-in had to manually check my bag because my connection time was so short. 

My first flight was delayed by 40 minutes. We made up about 30 in the air. I speed-walked to the international terminal, finally got a second boarding pass, then found there was no TSA Pre for the international terminal. It was 8:50pm when I got in line, and that's when our plane was scheduled to start boarding. And that's also when I got my secret weapon of a sister's text that the boarding was delayed. Maria and Chris were on the same flight, and enlisted as spies and co-conspirators to make sure I got on that plane!

Once we boarded, I traded to a seat right across the aisle from their pair of window and aisle seats. Brief chats, then watching Book of Life during a chicken curry dinner and lights out. 

I slept for five hours straight, rolled over, and got another two before being awakened from breakfast. I watched Paper Towns for the final two hours... And then, it was 6am Christmas morning in Fiji!

At some point in the night, Maria had seen a flight path display that put us over Christmas Island. Since we didn't get a Christmas Eve, that will have to do. 



Fiji dollars at worth half of American dollars - and easy and fun conversion when a $20 item is really 10USD. After being greeted by ukuleles and singers, I took out some cash (thanks, PNC!) then we taxied to the resort. 



It's the Worldmark by Wyndham, and it's lush and tropical and clean, if not the most up-to-date. It has the biggest pool on the island (source: my father reading something) and paths that lead to a gym, a spa, a Mexican restaurant, an adult's pool, a volleyball court, and more. 



The now-six Walters (we met my parents and Valerie here) swapped travel stories for an hour until the allure of the beach propelled us to take a walk along the resort row - three other hotels neighbor ours, with similar sprawling pool set-ups, tiki-hut-type bars, and restaurants advertised for sunset meals. We collected a few more shells for the mini Christmas tree, then hunger started creeping in. 



Valerie and Mom had ventured to Nadi and a fruit market, buying pawpaws (papayas), watermelon, pineapple, and bananas, as well as some tuber that ended up in their curry last night. (It was not well received by Dad.)

Deanne was expected in an hour, so we started making pancakes, eggs, cutting fruit for yogurt and granola, and generally making a Christmas morning feast. Deanne came in right as we were serving (though not hungry since the plane had given her breakfast).

It was time for some pool/beach-side fun, so a little before noon, we headed down, coated with sunscreen. 

Dip in the pool, nap, read, swim, nap, drag the chair in to the sun then out of the sun, and repeat. We were driven in by a bit of hunger and a bit of over-heating. Time for games, cookies (thanks Grandma!), and presents - just like Christmas back home!



We wandered back to the pool looking for frog racing, but had the wrong schedule, so meandered for a bit before a final game in the living room. 

Dinner was at the Mexican restaurant because they have a dancing show - Tahitian and Hawaiian dances, followed by a fire dance! Valerie and I of course got our feet wet (literally - the stage was uncovered and it had started raining) with some hip-shaking. (I saw the videos taken after - we look clueless!)

It was nearly 9pm, and there was still tomorrow yet to plan! We had kayaking in the morning, and other activities were planned by going to the port nearby, so our tentative plan was set. 

Well, I feel asleep before it was formally set. Sun and jetlag are wonderful sleep aids. Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment