Thursday, March 31, 2016

Osaka - March 26, 2016

I had been debating between a ramen museum and a castle in Osaka, with an eye on both, but I'm glad Grandma and Grandpa decided to join and put a critical eye on my aggressive plans. We got in the taxi that Deanne had reserved for us the day day before at 9, and we all waved goodbye to Mom, Dad, and Deanne. Our taxi driver gave us a belated tour, though I did learn that the Kyoto Tower was built in the 60s and its height was based on the population of the city. The city had 9,000 more people now, so he joked that they need to prop it up 9 more meters. 

Saying goodbye to Deanne meant we had to figure out trains and train tickets by ourselves. Wasn't hard, per say - the machines had English buttons, but we weren't practiced. 

The rapid line was coming in 10 minutes, but we decided to sit on a train instead of at a platform and rode the local every stop for 45 minutes between Kyoto and Osaka station. The central station there was bustling, but we found the coin lockers and dropped off our things so we could travel unencumbered to Osaka Castle. 



Except for the train we were on going out of service and hitching the next one, we arrived near the castle at 11. Two moats (one dry, one with water) required us to follow the crowds over bridges to get to the main tower. Unlike the blustery not-quite-spring day we had yesterday, today was sunny and nearly 60! The Japanese were out in force, jogging, biking, picnicking. Street stalls of food called to us. 



But first, we had to get our dose of history. A giant line snaked out from the ticket booth, but only fifteen minutes after we had gotten in it, we were riding the elevator to the top. And, with Grandma favoring her knee and hip slightly, we got a ride alllll the way to the top, not just to the fifth floor where most of the tourists got out. 



We'd walk down the stairs to learn about Totoya Hideyori (completely spelled wrong, but the founder of the castle) and Totoya Hideyoshi (his not-as-successful son) and Ieagushi somebody or another (who took up Hideyori's yoke), but the view of Osaka lay before us. The broadcasting building was the tallest, and a modern work of architecture. Various gardens and gates of the giant park were visible, as was the anthill of people below. 



A few floors of history (a samurai costume, lots of scrolls, some letters by Ieashu-whatever from the 1500s) and our stomachs were as empty as our heads were full. 



I was so excited for the stands full of food. We went broke on pork buns, giant long fries, a mochi paddy with red bean, and ice cream cones. I had already bought the tickets to the airport, so we were good. 



Or so I thought. I had bought the correctly priced tickets (since you just by "X yen" of credit to get you to the station you want to go to), but at the wrong station. Only after we had sent Valerie on her way with the rest of our cash at Osaka Station did we get stopped by the gates as we were trying to go in. 

I both feel sorry for the woman who had to deal with us, but I also feel like the Japanese system is kind of stupid when it comes to tickets. Ours were the right price, but I had bought them at the station by Osaka Castle - and where you buy the ticket is the only place you can enter. She was going to give us a refund, less a ¥220 processing fee, but then we wouldn't have enough to get to the airport. She begrudgingly let us in, but told us that we'd have to talk to the attendants at the airport. 

I'm a pro at confusing the train information booths until they just let me through. Alisa and I did this on the way back to the airport in Tokyo when we were here 16 months ago for a layover. At least this time, Grandma, Grandpa, and I had actually paid - just hadn't bought the right thing. 

With some warning from Deanne, I had tried to make sure we were in the half of the train that ended up at the airport, but until the train actually split up 50 minutes into the trip, I was on edge. There was a beautiful bridge over to the island with Kansai airport (Osaka's airport), and I easily explained our way out of the train station. One more stressor, gone!

Since I'm off to Taipei with Jetstar Airlines, and Grandma and Grandpa are back to the States with United, we hugged and split up. After connecting to the free airport wifi, I leaned that Mom and Dad were the next gate over from the grandparents, so would get to hear the train ticket story from Grandma and Grandpa. 

I, on the other hand, checked in. (They did want to see my flight out of Taiwan with United to make sure I wasn't staying indefinitely.) Wandering close to my gate, I came to a stand selling the some snacks and the green tea ice cream I had skipped in favor of mochi this afternoon. They took credit, and the machi soft serve was mine. Grandma recommended that I sell that in addition to melon pan in my imaginary future food truck. She's a smart lady. 



The flight, the trip to the hotel, all uneventful. Checked in, got up to my room, and saw the biggest bed, the most square footage I've had to myself in two weeks, and a bathroom that I don't have to share. Yes, I'll veg in bed with random 7-11 food from the lobby please. Sayonara, Japan; nǐ hǎo, Taiwan!

No comments:

Post a Comment