Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'M ON A BOAT, or Day 7 in Gothenburg and Stockholm, Sweden

For those that thought the countryside of Sweden was just acres of trees... we were partially right.

Before the train trip at noon, Alisa and I pried ourselves out of bed to go back into Gothenburg before we had to check out at 11.  We first went to the Fiskekirka (fish church).

Both of us assumed this building that we saw on the boat tour with Erik yesterday (oh, Erik...) was going to be a fish market, smelling awful with hawkers and fish everywhere.

Sadly (happily?), it was much more civilized, more like a mall than a market. We looked at the cases of seafood and fish, and made our way back for some window shopping before our tram back to the hotel (then back out to catch the train). Pretty sure Alisa was looking back the whole time to see if Erik was around.

The train was uneventful. Five hours of napping, with a bit of planning and puzzling.

We got to Stockholm Central Station in the middle of rush hour. It was very over stimulating. We got the T-bana, and walked to our hotel.

By the way, OUR HOTEL IS A BOAT. It's awesome. I love it. I was nearly rocked into another nap, but we got back in gear after creating a rough plan of our four days here.

I was starving (I guess the banana and drink yogurt didn't tide me over for lunch as well as Alisa's ciabatta and goat cheese), and so
we headed into the Old Town (Galmar Stan might be how you say it in Swedish).

Alisa and I have been learning all about each others likes and dislikes this trip. Her likes and my dislikes are: potatoes, olives, caramel, coffee, and Coke. My likes and her dislikes are: bananas and marshmallows. Anyway, for dinner, we got (appropriately), Swedish meatballs and salmon (as two different dishes, mind you). It was listed as inexpensive in the guidebook, but at $25 a piece, it is going to be a costly few days.

Now excuse me as I go to sleep IN MY SUPER AWESOME BOAT HOTEL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment