Monday, February 18, 2013

Moshi : Feb. 19

It was our lag day in Moshi. After watching tv last night until 10pm, I got to sleep (Alisa got to sleep a bit earlier... She also didn't care about the end of Lord of the Rings like I did, since she's watched it recently.)

At 4am, if you actually did the math on my last post (Tanzania is 8 hours ahead of EST right now), I woke up and found we could actually get Internet. Lots of people, one connection, I guess that's what you get.

But, surprisingly, we were able to get back to sleep! Yay not very much jetlag!

Breakfast was at the Panama Hotel where we stayed. The morning was a typical bargainfest - we walked through the market, had a guy lead us to an art shop, and then I spent half an hour cutting the ridiculous price in half. $9 per artwork was probably still too much, but we didn't mind.

When we got back, it was siesta time! We didn't know when we should be ready in the morning, so we had the receptionist call. That's when the fun started.

I got back up to the room to a wide-eyed, freaked-out Alisa. I left my heavy winter coat on the bus yesterday, she said. I'm going to have a panic attack.

Oh, and we were told that our orientation (surprise!) started in half an hour. A driver would pick us up.

Alisa was sketched out, and once we in the car, twenty minutes down a dirt road, I was starting to agree. Until we got to a gate that opened into a lush green garden. This was Springland Hotel, where we are staying the day after our trip ends. They have a pool and a garden. But we have A/C and all of Moshi to explore.

After twenty minutes of form-filling and an overview of tomorrow and the trip, we met our groups. We are with three 40-year-old guys from Kentucky, an Aussie gal around our age, and two mystery people that didn't show up. (They might not have been told...) Our rental gear was nearby, so we picked that up. The coat situation was explained, and we were given assurances they would look into it. The rental shop also has some, so there are appropriate back-up plans in place.

I, for one, am super excited about our group. Everyone seems about the same skill and social level, and I know one of the guys was a talking about a bourbon toast when we get to the top...

We got back to the room reenergized and spent an hour or two talking before traipsing to a recommended restaurant. "Indoitaliano" was both Indian and Italian, like it said. We had some Indian (of course) food and were food for (of course) a few mosquitoes. But we're taking anti-malarials, so take that!

Having a pharmacist along is hugely helpful, since I'm up to three pills a day. And she's my bestie! I'm so lucky.

One thing she is discovering about the developing world, though, is a lack of communication and "professionalism." From the pick-up guy at the airport, to the flat tire, to the surprise orientation, the lack of knowledge about our rental gear and when we were paying for the extra stuff, I have come to terms with a lot of stuff just eventually gets worked out, but not in any organized or necessarily timely matter. Alisa is just getting used to it. I'm hoping that once we only have one guy (Bruce, our guide) that briefs us everyday, we'll have a chance at understanding what's going on. Until then, we will just show up with our stuff at the front of the hotel tomorrow and hope there's a shuttle.

Here's to Kili and not climbing in our stuff sacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment